Friday, July 27, 2007

I've Arrived!

I arrived in Cape Town yesterday afternoon and I feel like I'm just barely getting my feet under me! It is rainy here and cold-ish... nothing like Iowa but still pretty chilly. I'm staying at a hostel in the city bowl, which is basically tourist central. I'll be contacting the South African Education Project this afternoon, they're helping me get set up with my first group. Actually, I should have done that already, but I'm a bit shy when it comes to calling people. I guess that will have to change!

Anyhow, I was feeling very confident until I started talking to some of the other travelers at my hostel yesterday. Everyone seems to think that it is just SO dangerous here, which makes me nervous about doing the simplest things. But despite my personal apprehensions, I had to venture out today to get food...I'd been mostly eating airport food until now, so I had to be daring and go for a walk in broad daylight :). Seriously, though, I didn't expect to feel nearly this nervous just being here.

Another surprise--hostels don't heat their rooms! So it's a good thing that I brought a sleeping bag. At least this hostel has hot water... the one I stayed at in Joburg was seriously lacking in that department. I'm not sure what's going to happen for me in terms of housing, I guess I'll find out after I call Norton this afternoon. If nothing else, I can always stay at the hostel for a few nights longer than I'd planned.

Anyhow, over and out! I hope that all of you are enjoying summer back in the Northern hemisphere!

No comments: