Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Weekend Events

Well hello again! I know that I left off with a massive post about marimba music, so I thought I would update yet again with some more vacation-like material!

Saturday night I went to see the University of Cape Town Big Band in concert in their University hall. It was an interesting concert because the band played quite well as an ensemble (you'd think they would, being the premier jazz band in the premier university in South Africa) and the vocalists were absolutely amazing... but the soloists from the band itself were pretty lame! Now, it's been at least four years since I played in a jazz band and I don't think I could ever solo to save my life, but I can recognize a good solo when I hear one. And these just weren't up to par. Too many notes, and I could tell that they were too nervous... they didn't take any time to enjoy the spaces in the solo along with the licks. But it was a good concert overall, and I'm glad that I attended. I wasn't such a fan of the African pieces that the conductor himself composed, though. Sad, because I wanted to like them more than I did. It's been such a long time since I played any classical music! I miss the precision of it :).

Sunday I attended another event at the Baxter Theater, a dance festival for amateur groups. It was really interesting! I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but there was hardly any "african" dance. There was an interesting mixture of posh dancing schools and community (township) dance projects, though. I don't know if any of you who read this knew me back at Lincoln High, but our dance team couldn't hold a candle to these folks (we had a kick-ass dance team, too)! Many memorable performances. My favorite had only two dancers, one young woman in a flowing red dress and a young guy playing the guitar (actually performing the music). There was such a dialog between the music and the dance because the music was actually a part of the dance... very cool!

Anyhow... I think I am finished relating my weekend adventures for now! In the future, you ask? Well... there is an interesting concert by the Soweto Gospel Choir that I would looooooove to attend, and I might be volunteering on an outdoor school-like excursion for a weekend as well. Keep checking back if you're interested!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.